Weather in northwest Orange County for Saturday, March 30, 2019:
Sunny, with a high near 81. Light and variable wind becoming west 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly clear, with a low around 53. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light and variable in the evening.
High temperatures are forecast to rise into the mid-80s over the weekend before dropping back into the 70s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1858 Hyman L. Lipman of Philadelphia patents the pencil with an eraser attached on one end.
- 1867 Russian Baron Stoeckl and U.S. Secretary of State Seward complete the draft of a treaty ceding Alaska to the United States. The treaty is signed the following day.
- 1870 The 15th amendment, guaranteeing the right to vote regardless of race, passes.
- 1870 President U.S. Grant signs bill readmitting Texas to the Union, the last Confederate state readmitted.
- 1909 The Queensboro Bridge in New York opens. It is the first double decker bridge and links Manhattan and Queens.
- 1943 Rodgers and Hammerstein’s first collaboration, Oklahoma, opens on Broadway.
- 1944 The U.S. fleet attacks Palau, near the Philippines.
- 1950 President Harry S Truman denounces Senator Joe McCarthy as a saboteur of U.S. foreign policy.
- 1981 President Ronald Reagan is shot and wounded in Washington, D.C. by John W. Hinckley Jr.