Weather in northwest Orange County for Tuesday, April 2, 2019:
Cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly sunny, with a high near 70. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph becoming west in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 55. West wind 5 to 10 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.
High temperatures are expected to remain in the 60s to low 70s for the remainder of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1792 The United States authorizes the minting of the $10 Eagle, $5 half-Eagle & 2.50 quarter-Eagle gold coins as well as the silver dollar, dollar, quarter, dime & half-dime.
- 1865 Confederate President Jefferson Davis flees Richmond, Virginia as Grant breaks Lee’s line at Petersburg.
- 1905 Birth of Kurt Adler, American conductor.
- 1914 The U.S. Federal Reserve Board announces plans to divide the country into 12 districts.
- 1917 Jeannette Pickering Rankin is sworn in as the first woman to serve in the U.S. House of Representatives.
- 1917 President Woodrow Wilson presents a declaration of war against Germany to Congress.
- 1931 Virne “Jackie” Mitchell becomes the first woman to play for an all-male pro baseball team. In an exhibition game against the New York Yankees, she strikes out both Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig.
- 1932 Charles Lindbergh pays over $50,000 ransom for his kidnapped son.
- 1958 The National Advisory Council on Aeronautics is renamed NASA.
- 1963 Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King begins the first non-violent campaign in Birmingham, Alabama.