Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, April 3, 2019:
A slight chance of showers before 11am. Cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly sunny, with a high near 67. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
Increasing clouds, with a low around 54. West wind 5 to 10 mph.
High temperatures are expected to remain in the 60s to low 70s for the remainder of the week, before spiking back into the 80s in the new week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1783 Washington Irving, American writer (The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, Rip Van Winkle).
- 1822 Birth of Edward Everett Hale, American clergyman and author (Man without a Country).
- 1823 Birth of William Macy “Boss” Tweed, New York City political boss.
- 1860 The Pony Express connects St. Joseph, Missouri and Sacramento, California.
- 1862 Slavery is abolished in Washington, D.C.
- 1865 Union forces occupy the Confederate capital of Richmond, Virginia.
- 1882 The American outlaw Jesse James is shot in the back and killed by his cousin, Bob Ford.
- 1910 Alaska’s Mount McKinley, the highest mountain in North America, is climbed.
- 1920 F. Scott Fitzgerald and Zelda Sayre are married at St. Patrick’s Cathedral in New York City.
- 1924 Birth of Marlon Brando, actor (On the Waterfront, The Godfather).
- 1936 Bruno Hauptmann, killer of the Lindbergh baby, is executed.
- 1942 The Japanese begin their all-out assault on the U.S. and Filipino troops at Bataan.
- 1944 The U.S. Supreme Court rules that black citizens are eligible to vote in all elections, including primaries.
- 1948 President Harry Truman signs Marshall Plan. It will revive war-torn Europe.
- 1972 Charlie Chaplin returns to the United States after a twenty-year absence.
- 1984 Coach John Thompson of Georgetown University becomes the first African-American coach to win an NCAA basketball tournament.