Two letters from Representative Harley Rouda and the entire Orange County, California Congressional delegation were submitted to the House Committee on Appropriations. The two letters, supported by the Orange County Board of Supervisors, addresses funding for critical flood control programs through the county.
“The Orange County congressional delegation stands united in this push for essential federal funding.” said Rep. Rouda. “Representatives may convene in Washington, but our first job is to lead in our communities, and be responsive to our constituents’ needs. That’s why I’m working hard to support Orange County Public Works, and the Board of Supervisors, to keep constituents safe from flooding.”
The Santa Ana River Mainstem Project (SARMP) is a $2.6 Billion cooperative flood control project between the US Army Corps of Engineers (Corps) and the Counties of Orange, Riverside and San Bernardino. The Project was authorized by Congress in the Water Resources Development Act of 1986 and construction began in 1989. Main features of the project include the construction of Seven Oaks Dam (completed), the improvements to the Prado Dam and reservoir (underway), and improvements to the Lower River in Orange County (underway). The project is designed for a 100-year flood event.
The Westminster & East Garden Grove Flood Risk Management Study analyzes alternatives aimed to reduce the risks to life, safety and property due to deficiencies along the East Garden Grove-Wintersburg Channel, Westminster Channel, Ocean View Channel and a downstream reach of the Bolsa Chica Channel within 74 square miles of Orange County, California.
- 40,000 structures (approx.) at risk equating to $4B in damages in a 100-year event
- 1 million residents, business owners and U.S. military operations at risk (approx.)
- Critical transportation infrastructure delays including Interstate 405, the “busiest highway in the U.S.” connecting Los Angeles and San Diego
- Sensitive coastal ecosystems impacted by run-off contaminants
These two letters were signed by
- Rep. Harley Rouda (CA-48)
- Rep. Linda T. Sanchez (CA-38)
- Rep. Alan S. Lowenthal (CA-47)
- Rep. Katie Porter (CA-45)
- Rep. J. Luis Correa (CA-46)
- Rep. Gil Cisneros (CA-39)
- Rep. Mike Levin (CA-49)
This article was released by the Office of Congressman Harley Rouda.