Weather in northwest Orange County for Monday, April 8, 2019:
A slight chance of showers before 11am. Partly sunny, with a high near 69. Light southwest wind increasing to 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 55. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming southeast after midnight.
High temperatures are forecast to rise into the upper 80s, moderating around midweek and with a slight chance of showers at the end of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1726 Birth of Lewis Morris, signer of the Declaration of Independence.
- 1789 The U.S. House of Representatives holds its first meeting.
- 1832 Some 300 American troops of the 6th Infantry leave Jefferson Barracks, St. Louis, to confront the Sauk Indians in what would become known as the Black Hawk War.
- 1864 In the Battle of Mansfield, Louisiana, Federals are routed by Confederate Gen. Richard Taylor.
- 1865 General Robert E. Lee’s retreat is cut off near Appomattox Court House.
- 1913 The 17th Amendment is ratified, requiring direct election of senators.
- 1921 Birth of Betty Bloomer Ford, first lady to President Gerald Ford.
- 1935 The Works Progress Administration (WPA) is approved by Congress.
- 1952 President Truman orders the seizure of U.S. steel mills to prevent a strike.
- 1974 Hank Aaron hits his 715th home run, breaking Babe Ruth’s record.
- 1975 Frank Robinson of the Cleveland Indians becomes first black manager of a major league baseball team.