Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, April 10, 2019:
Sunny, with a high near 77. Northwest wind 5 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.
Mostly clear, with a low around 53. West wind 10 to 15 mph becoming light and variable in the evening. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
High temperatures are forecast to moderate around midweek and with a slight chance of showers at the end of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1790 The U.S. patent system is established.
- 1794 Birth of Matthew C. Perry, American naval officer, opened Japan to trade with the West.
- 1827 Birth of Lew Wallace, Civil War general, lawyer, diplomat and author of Ben Hur.
- 1862 Union forces begin the bombardment of Fort Pulaski in Georgia along the Tybee River.
- 1865 At Appomattox Court, Va, General Robert E. Lee issues his last orders to the Army of Northern Virginia.
- 1866 The American Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) is formed.
- 1880 Birth of Frances Perkins, U.S. labor secretary, first female cabinet member.
- 1903 Birth of Clare Boothe Luce, reporter, U.S. ambassador to the Vatican.
- 1912 The Titanic begins her maiden voyage which will end in disaster.
- 1925 F. Scott Fitzgerald publishes The Great Gatsby.
- 1930 The first synthetic rubber is produced.
- 1941 U.S. troops occupy Greenland to prevent Nazi infiltration.
- 1947 Jackie Robinson becomes the first black to play major league baseball as he takes the field for the Brooklyn Dodgers.
- 1971 The American table tennis team arrives in China.