Weather in northwest Orange County for Tuesday, April 16, 2019:
A chance of showers, mainly before 11am. Cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 68. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph becoming west 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Partly cloudy, with a low around 52. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming southeast after midnight.
Temperatures are expected to rise into the 80s in the back half of the week before dropping back to seasonal levels over the weekend.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1818 The U.S. Senate ratifies the Rush-Bagot amendment to form an unarmed U.S.-Canada border.
- 1862 Confederate President Jefferson Davis approves a conscription act for white males between 18 and 35.
- 1862 Slavery is abolished in the District of Columbia.
- 1864 Birth of Flora Batson, African-American soprano-baritone singer.
- 1867 Birth of Wilbur Wright, designer, builder and flyer of the first airplane.
- 1889 Birth of Charlie Chaplin, film actor and director.
- 1922 Annie Oakley shoots 100 clay targets in a row, setting a woman’s record.
- 1945 The destroyer USS Laffey survives horrific damage from attacks by 22 Japanese aircraft off Okinawa, earning the nickname “The Ship That Would Not Die.”
- 1945 American troops enter Nuremberg, Germany.
- 1947 A lens which provides zoom effects is demonstrated in New York City.
- 1968 The Pentagon announces the “Vietnamization” of the war.
- 1972 Two giants pandas arrive in the U.S. from China.
Jelly Bean Yellow has won the race to show the first flower among our five varieties of tomatoes — a delicate little yellow flower bloomed yesterday. Meanwhile, the poor Early Girl remains unfortunately stunted, possibly due to its location near the dryer vent! Hopefully more regular watering will allow it to catch up with its more vigorous fellows!
The forecast for the next week is for overnight temperatures to remain above 50°F. We will see if fruit sets!