Weather in northwest Orange County for Monday, April 22, 2019:
Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 75. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph becoming west in the afternoon.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, partly cloudy, with a low around 56. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming southeast after midnight.
Highs are expected to rise into the 80s by the middle of the new week, with mostly sunny skies, before dropping back into the 70s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1792 President George Washington proclaims American neutrality in the war in Europe.
- 1861 Robert E. Lee is named commander of Virginia forces.
- 1873 Birth of Ellen Glasgow, American novelist.
- 1889 The Oklahoma land rush officially starts at noon as thousands of Americans race for new, unclaimed land.
- 1898 In the first action of the Spanish-American War, the USS Nashville, takes on a Spanish ship.
- 1904 Birth of J. Robert Oppenheimer, physicist, director of the Manhattan Project.
- 1954 The Senate Army-McCarthy hearings begin. They are broadcast on television.
- 1955 Congress orders all U.S. coins to bear the motto “In God We Trust.”
- 1976 Barbara Walters becomes the first female nightly news anchor on network television.