Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, April 24, 2019:
Mostly cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 74. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph.
Increasing clouds, with a low around 54. South wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light in the evening.
Highs are expected to gradually drop back to the low 70s across the course of the week, with mostly sunny skies.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1800 The Library of Congress is established in Washington, D.C. with a $5,000 allocation.
- 1805 U.S. Marines attack and capture the town of Derna in Tripoli from the Barbary pirates.
- 1833 A patent is granted for the first soda fountain.
- 1898 Spain declares war on United States, rejecting an ultimatum to withdraw from Cuba.
- 1905 Birth of Robert Penn Warren, novelist, America’s first poet laureate.
- 1961 President John Kennedy accepts “sole responsibility” for the failed invasion of Cuba at the Bay of Pigs.
- 1968 Leftist students take over Columbia University in protest over the Vietnam War.
- 1980 A rescue attempt of the U.S. hostages held in Iran fails when a plane collides with a helicopter in the Iranian desert.
- 1981 The IBM Personal Computer is introduced.
We are absurdly pleased to announce that our first tomato of the season has set! Jelly Bean Yellow, after being nearly beaten to death by a windstorm and a hail storm and a cloudburst has come back to beat the competition. (Early Girl, sad to say, succumbed to bugs.)