Weather in northwest Orange County for Thursday, April 25, 2019:
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 76. Light south wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, increasing clouds, with a low around 57. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Highs are expected remain low 70s across the course of the week, with morning clouds followed by mostly sunny skies.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1862 Admiral David Farragut occupies New Orleans, Louisiana.
- 1864 After facing defeat in the Red River Campaign, Union General Nathaniel Bank returns to Alexandria, Louisiana.
- 1898 The United States declares war on Spain.
- 1917 Birth of Ella Fitzgerald, American singer.
- 1945 U.S. and Soviet forces meet at Torgau, Germany on Elbe River.
- 1956 Elvis Presley’s “Heartbreak Hotel” goes to number one on the charts.
- 1959 The St. Lawrence Seaway–linking the Atlantic Ocean to the Great Lakes–opens to shipping.
- 1960 The first submerged circumnavigation of the Earth is completed by a Triton submarine.
- 1962 A U.S. Ranger spacecraft crash lands on the Moon.
- 1980 President Jimmy Carter tells the American people about the hostage rescue disaster in Iran.
We are absurdly pleased to announce that our first tomato of the season has set! Jelly Bean Yellow, after being nearly beaten to death by a windstorm and a hail storm and a cloudburst has come back to beat the competition. (Early Girl, sad to say, succumbed to bugs.)