Weather in northwest Orange County for Friday, May 3, 2019:
Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 72. Light southeast wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Partly cloudy, with a low around 56. South wind 5 to 10 mph.
A chance of showers will be possible in the first half of the new week, with high temperatures in the low 70s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1568 French forces in Florida slaughter hundreds of Spanish.
- 1855 Macon B. Allen becomes the first African American to be admitted to the Bar in Massachusetts.
- 1863 The Battle of Chancellorsville rages for a second day.
- 1865 President Abraham Lincoln’s funeral train arrives in Springfield, Illinois.
- 1903 Birth of Bing [Harry Lillis] Crosby, singer and actor. Various dates given for his birth date.
- 1920 Birth of Walker Smith, Jr. (Sugar Ray Robinson), champion middleweight boxer.
- 1926 U.S. Marines land in Nicaragua.
- 1968 After three days of battle, the U.S. Marines retake Dai Do complex in Vietnam, only to find the North Vietnamese have evacuated the area.
- 1971 James Earl Ray, Martin Luther King Jr.’s assassin, is caught in a jail break attempt.