Weather in northwest Orange County for Sunday, May 5, 2019:
CPatchy drizzle before 11am. Partly sunny, with a high near 70. Light south wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 20 mp.
A slight chance of showers after 11pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 57. West wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
Partly to mostly sunny skies with high temperatures in the low 70s are expected for the next week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1494 Christopher Columbus lands on the island of Jamaica, which he names Santa Gloria.
- 1814 British attack the American forces at Ft. Ontario, Oswego, New York.
- 1830 Born: John B. Stetson, American hat maker.
- 1861 Born: Peter Cooper Hewitt, electrical engineer, inventor of the mercury-vapor lamp.
- 1862 Union and Confederate forces clash at the Battle of Williamsburg, part of the Peninsular Campaign.
- 1883 Born: Charles Albert “Chief” Bender, baseball player.
- 1886 A bomb explodes on the fourth day of a workers’ strike in Chicago.
- 1890 Born: Christopher Morley, writer (Kitty Foyle).
- 1899 Born: Freeman F. Gosden, radio comedy writer and performer (Amos ‘n’ Andy).
- 1909 Born: Carlos Baker, biographer.
- 1916 U.S. Marines invade the Dominican Republic.
- 1917 Eugene Jacques Bullard becomes the first African-American aviator when he earns a flying certificate with the French Air Service.
- 1920 Anarchists Nicola Sacco and Bartolomeo Vanzetti are arrested for murder.
- 1935 American Jesse Owens sets the long jump record.
- 1942 General Joseph Stilwell learns that the Japanese have cut his railway out of China and is forced to lead his troops into India
- 1961 Alan Shepard becomes the first American in space.
- 1965 173rd Airborne Brigade arrives in Bien Hoa-Vung, Vietnam, the first regular U.S. Army unit deployed to that country.
- 1968 U.S. Air Force planes hit Nhi Ha, South Vietnam in support of attacking infantrymen.
- 1969 Pulitzer Prize awarded to Norman Mailer for his ‘nonfiction novel’ Armies of the Night, an account of the 1967 anti-Vietnam War march on the Pentagon.
- 1987 Congress opens Iran-Contra hearings.