Weather in northwest Orange County for Saturday, May 11, 2019:
A chance of showers, with thunderstorms also possible after 11am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 71. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
A chance of showers and thunderstorms before 11pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 58. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Mostly sunny skies with high temperatures in the low to mid 70s are expected for the next week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1690 In the first major engagement of King William’s War, British troops from Massachusetts seize Port Royal in Acadia (Nova Scotia and New Brunswick) from the French.
- 1792 The Columbia River is discovered by Captain Robert Gray.
- 1858 Minnesota is admitted as the 32nd U.S. state.
- 1862 Confederates scuttle CSS Virginia off Norfolk, Virginia.
- 1864 Confederate General J.E.B. Stuart is mortally wounded at Yellow Tavern.
- 1888 Birth of Irving Berlin, composer, writer of over 1,500 songs.
- 1895 Birth of William Grant Still, American composer and conductor.
- 1918 Birth of Richard Feynman, theoretical physicist.
- 1943 American forces begin the assault on Japanese-held Attu, the westernmost island in Alaska’s Aleutian Island chain.
- 1967 The Siege of Khe Sanh ends with the base is still in American hands.