Weather in northwest Orange County for Friday, May 17, 2019:
Sunny, with a high near 71. Northwest wind 5 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.
Partly cloudy, with a low around 57. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming southeast after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
A chance of showers will be possible through early next week, with highs in the low 70s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1792 Merchants form the New York Stock Exchange at 70 Wall Street.
- 1863 Union General Ulysses Grant continues his push towards Vicksburg at the Battle of the Big Black River Bridge.
- 1875 The first Kentucky Derby is run in Louisville.
- 1881 Frederick Douglass is appointed recorder of deeds for Washington, D.C.
- 1954 The U.S. Supreme Court unanimously rules for school integration in Brown v. Board of Education.
- 1973 The Senate Watergate Committee begins its hearings.
- 1987 In the Persian Gulf the American guided missile frigate USS Stark is struck by 2 Exocet missiles fired by an Iraqi aircraft; only one detonates, but 37 sailors are killed and 21 are wounded. Whether the launch was deliberate or a mistake is still debated.