Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, May 22, 2019:
A slight chance of showers after 11am. Partly sunny, with a high near 70. West wind 10 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 57. West wind 15 to 20 mph becoming south 5 to 10 mph in the evening. Winds could gust as high as 30 mph.
A slight chance of showers will be possible through much of the week, with highs in the low 70s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1804 The Lewis and Clark Expedition officially begins as the Corps of Discovery departs from St. Charles, Missouri.
- 1856 U.S. Congressman Preston Brooks of South Carolina beats Senator Charles Sumner with a cane for Sumner’s earlier condemnation of slavery, which included an insult to Brooks’ cousin, Senator Andrew Butler.
- 1863 Union General Ulysses S. Grant’s second attack on Vicksburg fails and a siege begins.
- 1868 The “Great Train Robbery” takes place as seven members of the Reno Gang make off with $98,000 in cash from a train’s safe in Indiana.
- 1872 The Amnesty Act restores civil rights to Southerners.
- 1882 The United States formally recognizes Korea.
- 1908 The Wright brothers register their flying machine for a U.S. patent.
- 1928 Birth of T Boone Pickens, oil magnate and financier who developed a reputation as a corporate raider in the 1980s.
- 1930 Birth of Harvey Milk, one of the first openly gay politicians to win public office in the United States, a seat on the San Francisco Board of Supervisors in 1977.
- 1967 The children’s program Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood premiers.
- 1985 Baseball player Pete Rose passes Hank Aaron as National League run scoring leader with 2,108.
- 1992 Johnny Carson’s final appearance on The Tonight Show on NBC, after 30 years as the program’s host.
- 2004 An EF4 tornado with a record-setting width of 2.5 miles wipes out Hallam, Nebraska, killing 1 person.
- 2011 An EF5 tornado kills at least 158 people in Joplin, Missouri, the largest death toll from a tornado since record-keeping began in 1950.