Weather in northwest Orange County for Friday, May 24, 2019:
Sunny, with a high near 71. Light and variable wind becoming west 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Increasing clouds, with a low around 56. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light southwest in the evening.
A slight chance of showers will be possible through much of the week, otherwise mostly sunny skies with highs in the low 70s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1607 Captain Christopher Newport and 105 followers found the colony of Jamestown at the mouth of the James River on the coast of Virginia.
- 1610 Sir Thomas Gates institutes “laws divine moral and marshal, ” a harsh civil code for Jamestown.
- 1624 After years of unprofitable operation, Virginia’s charter is revoked and it becomes a royal colony.
- 1764 Boston lawyer James Otis denounces “taxation without representation,” calling for the colonies to unite in opposition to Britain’s new tax measures.
- 1844 Samuel Morse taps out the first telegraph message.
- 1846 General Zachary Taylor captures Monterey.
- 1861 General Benjamin Butler declares slaves to be the contraband of war.
- 1863 Bushwackers led by Captain William Marchbanks attack a Federal militia party in Nevada, Missouri.
- 1878 The first American bicycle race is held in Boston.
- 1895 Birth of Samuel I. Newhouse, American publisher.
- 1951 Willie Mays begins playing for the New York Giants.
- 1961 Civil rights activists are arrested in Jackson, Mississippi.