Weather in northwest Orange County for Thursday, May 30, 2019:
Cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 75. Light south wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the morning.
Increasing clouds, with a low around 59. South wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light southwest in the evening.
Morning clouds followed by mostly sunny skies with highs in the low to mid 70s are expected for the coming week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1539 Hernando de Soto lands in Florida with 600 soldiers in search of gold.
- 1783 The first American daily newspaper, The Pennsylvania Evening Post, begins publishing in Philadelphia.
- 1848 William Young patents the ice cream freezer.
- 1854 The Kansas-Nebraska Act repeals the Missouri Compromise.
- 1862 Union General Henry Halleck enters Corinth, Mississippi.
- 1867 Birth of Arthur Vining Davis, American industrialist.
- 1868 Memorial Day begins when two women place flowers on both Confederate and Union graves.
- 1889 The brassiere is invented.
- 1903 Birth of Countee Cullen, American poet.
- 1912 U.S. Marines are sent to Nicaragua to protect American interests.
- 1921 The U.S. Navy transfers the Teapot Dome oil reserves to the Department of the Interior.
- 1971 NASA launches Mariner 9, the first satellite to orbit Mars.