Weather in northwest Orange County for Friday, May 31, 2019:
Cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 71. Light southwest wind increasing to 5 to 10 mph in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Increasing clouds, with a low around 58. South wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light southwest after midnight.
Morning clouds followed by mostly sunny skies with highs in the low to mid 70s are expected for the coming week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1819 Birth of Walt Whitman, American poet.
- 1862 At the Battle of Fair Oaks, Union General George B. McClellan defeats Confederates outside of Richmond.
- 1879 New York’s Madison Square Garden opens its doors for the first time.
- 1889 Johnstown, Pennsylvania is destroyed by a massive flood.
- 1894 Birth of Fred Allen [John Florence Sullivan], American comedian.
- 1900 U.S. troops arrive in Peking to help put down the Boxer Rebellion.
- 1909 The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) holds its first conference.
- 1913 The 17th amendment to the U.S. Constitution, providing for direct election of senators, is ratified.
- 1955 The Supreme Court orders that states must end racial segregation “with all deliberate speed.”
- 1988 President Ronald Reagan arrives in Moscow, the first American president to do so in 14 years.