Weather in northwest Orange County for Thursday, June 6, 2019:
Cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly sunny, with a high near 75. Light southwest wind increasing to 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Increasing clouds, with a low around 63. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light south after midnight.
Morning clouds followed by mostly sunny skies, with high temperatures rising to the low 80s around the weekend through the first half of the new week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1755 Birth of Nathan Hale, American revolutionary.
- 1756 Birth of John Trumbull, American painter.
- 1813 The United States invasion of Canada is halted at Stony Creek, Ontario.
- 1862 The city of Memphis surrenders to the Union navy after an intense naval engagement on the Mississippi River.
- 1865 Confederate raider William Quantrill dies from a wound received while escaping a Union patrol near Taylorsville, Kentucky.
- 1918 U.S. Marines enter combat at the Battle of Belleau Wood.
- 1930 Frozen foods are sold commercially for the first time.
- 1934 President Franklin Roosevelt signs the Securities Exchange Act, establishing the Securities and Exchange Commission.
- 1941 The U.S. government authorizes the seizure of foreign ships in U.S. ports.
- 1944 D-Day: Operation Overlord lands 400,000 Allied American, British, and Canadian troops on the beaches of Normandy in German-occupied France.
- 1966 African American James Meredith is shot and wounded while on a solo march in Mississippi to promote voter registration among blacks.