Weather in northwest Orange County for Monday, June 10, 2019:
Mostly sunny, with a high near 87. Light southwest wind increasing to 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Partly cloudy, with a low around 66. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm after midnight.
Morning clouds followed by mostly sunny skies, with high temperatures in the 80s through the first half of the week before dropping back into the 70s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1692 Bridget Bishop is hanged in Salem, Mass., for witchcraft.
- 1735 Birth of John Morgan, physician-in-chief of the American Continental Army.
- 1776 The Continental Congress appoints a committee to write a Declaration of Independence.
- 1801 Tripoli declares war on the U.S. for refusing to pay tribute.
- 1854 The U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland, holds its first graduation.
- 1861 Dorothea Dix is appointed superintendent of female nurses for the Union army.
- 1864 At the Battle of Brice’s Crossroads in Mississippi, Confederate General Nathan Bedford Forrest defeats the numerically superior Union troops.
- 1895 Birth of Hattie McDaniel, African-American actress.
- 1898 U.S. Marines land in Cuba.
- 1901 Birth of Frederick Loewe, songwriter.
- 1920 The Republican convention in Chicago endorses women’s suffrage.
- 1922 Birth of Judy Garland (Frances Ethel Gumm), American actress and singer (The Wizard of Oz, Easter Parade).
- 1925 Tennessee adopts a new biology text book denying the theory of evolution.
- 1943 The Allies begin bombing Germany around the clock.
- 1944 The U.S. VII and V corps, advancing from Normandy’s beaches, link up and begin moving inland.
- 1948 The news that the sound barrier has been broken is finally released to the public by the U.S. Air Force. Chuck Yeager, piloting the rocket airplane X-1, exceeded the speed of sound on October 14, 1947.
- 1970 A 15-man group of special forces troops begin training for Operation Kingpin, a POW rescue mission in North Vietnam.