Weather in northwest Orange County for Thursday, June 13, 2019:
Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 75. South wind 5 to 10 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.
Increasing clouds, with a low around 61.
High temperatures are expected to remain relatively pleasant in the 70s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1777 The Marquis de Lafayette arrives in the American colonies to help in their rebellion against Britain.
- 1786 Birth of Winfield Scott, U.S. Army general.
- 1863 Confederate forces on their way to Gettysburg clash with Union troops at the Second Battle of Winchester, Virginia.
- 1894 Birth of Mark Van Doren, American poet, writer and educator.
- 1903 Birth of Harold “Red” Grange, American football player.
- 1920 The U.S. Post Office Department rules that children may not be sent by parcel post.
- 1943 German spies land on Long Island, New York, and are soon captured.
- 1971 The New York Times begins publishing the Pentagon Papers.
- 1979 Sioux Indians are awarded $105 million in compensation for the 1877 U.S. seizure of the Black Hills in South Dakota.
- 1983 Pioneer 10, already in space for 11 years, leaves the solar system.