Weather in northwest Orange County for Saturday, June 15, 2019:
Cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly sunny, with a high near 73. Light southwest wind increasing to 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Increasing clouds, with a low around 60. South wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
High temperatures are expected to remain relatively pleasant in the 70s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1607 Colonists in North America complete James Fort in Jamestown.
- 1752 Benjamin Franklin and his son test the relationship between electricity and lightning by flying a kite in a thunder storm.
- 1767 Birth of Rachel Robards Jackson, first lady to President Andrew Jackson.
- 1775 George Washington is named Commander-in-Chief by Congress.
- 1779 American General Anthony Wayne captures Stony Point, New York.
- 1836 Arkansas is admitted into the Union as the 25th state.
- 1846 Great Britain and the United States agree on a joint occupation of Oregon Territory.
- 1849 James K. Polk, the 11th president of the United States, dies.
- 1862 General J.E.B. Stuart completes his “ride around McClellan.”
- 1877 Henry O. Flipper becomes the first African American to graduate from the U.S. Military Academy at West Point.
- 1898 The U.S. House of representatives approves the annexation of Hawaii.
- 1904 Fire aboard the paddle steamer General Slocum on New York’s East River kills 1,021, mostly German-Americans.
- 1914 Birth of Saul Steinberg, American cartoonist.
- 1916 President Woodrow Wilson signs a bill incorporating the Boy Scouts of America.
- 1920 Three African Americans are lynched in Duluth, Minnesota, by a white mob of 5,000.
- 1928 Republicans, convening in Kansas City, name Herbert Hoover their candidate for President.
- 1932 Gaston Means is sentenced to 15 years for fraud in the Lindbergh baby kidnapping.
- 1944 U.S. Marines begin the invasion of Saipan in the Pacific.