Weather in northwest Orange County for Monday, June 24, 2019:
Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 76. Light south wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Increasing clouds, with a low around 62. South wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light southwest in the evening.
High temperatures are expected to gradually rise into the low 80s, with mostly sunny skies.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1647 Margaret Brent, demands a voice and a vote for herself in the Maryland colonial assembly.
- 1664 The colony of New Jersey, named after the Isle of Jersey, is founded.
- 1675 King Philip’s War begins.
- 1813 Birth of Henry Ward Beecher, clergyman.
- 1842 Birth of Ambrose Bierce, American writer and satirist (The Friend’s Delight, The Devil’s Dictionary).
- 1848 Birth of Brooks Adams, American historian, son of Charles Francis Adams (The Law of Civilization and Decay).
- 1861 Federal gunboats attack Confederate batteries at Mathias Point, Virginia.
- 1862 U.S. intervention saves the British and French at the Dagu Forts in China.
- 1895 Birth of Jack Dempsey, American boxer and world heavyweight champion.
- 1896 Booker T. Washington becomes the first African American to receive an honorary MA degree from Harvard University.
- 1941 President Franklin Roosevelt pledges all possible support to the Soviet Union.
- 1948 The Soviet Union begins the Berlin Blockade, America responds with the Berlin Airlift.
- 1953 John F. Kennedy and Jacqueline Bouvier announce their engagement.
- 1955 Soviet MiGs down a U.S. Navy patrol plane over the Bering Strait.
- 1964 The Federal Trade Commission announces that, starting in 1965, cigarette makers must include warning labels about the harmful effects of smoking.
- 1970 The U.S. Senate votes overwhelmingly to repeal the Gulf of Tonkin Resolution