Weather in northwest Orange County for Thursday, July 4, 2019:
Cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 77. Light southeast wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Increasing clouds, with a low around 63. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
High temperatures are expected to remain at seasonable levels in the upper 70s to low 80s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1712 Twelve slaves are executed for starting an uprising in New York that killed nine whites.
- 1776 The amended Declaration of Independence, prepared by Thomas Jefferson, is approved and signed by John Hancock–President of the Continental Congress–and Charles Thomson, Congress secretary. The state of New York abstains from signing.
- 1804 Birth of Nathaniel Hawthorne, American writer (The Scarlet Letter).
- 1817 Construction begins on the Erie Canal, to connect Lake Erie and the Hudson River.
- 1826 Two of America’s founding fathers–Thomas Jefferson and John Adams–die.
- 1826 Birth of Stephen Foster, American composer.
- 1831 The fifth president of the United States, James Monroe, dies at the age of 73.
- 1845 Henry David Thoreau begins his 26-month stay at Walden Pond.
- 1855 Walt Whitman publishes the first edition of Leaves of Grass at his own expense.
- 1861 Union and Confederate forces skirmish at Harpers Ferry.
- 1863 The Confederate town of Vicksburg, Mississippi, surrenders to General Ulysses S. Grant.
- 1872 Birth of Calvin Coolidge, 30th president of the United States (1923-1929).
- 1881 Billy the Kid is shot dead in New Mexico.
- 1883 Birth of Rube Goldberg, Pulitzer Prize-winning cartoonist.
- 1894 After seizing power, Judge Stanford B. Dole declares Hawaii a republic.
- 1895 The poem America the Beautiful is first published.
- 1901 William H. Taft becomes the American governor of the Philippines.
- 1910 Race riots break out all over the United States after African American Jack Johnson knocks out Jim Jeffries in a heavyweight boxing match.
- 1934 Boxer Joe Louis wins his first professional fight.
- 1946 The United States grants the Philippine Islands their independence.
- 1960 The 50-star flag makes its debut in Philadelphia.