Weather in northwest Orange County for Monday, July 8, 2019:
Patchy drizzle before 11am. Cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 75. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Increasing clouds, with a low around 63. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light south after midnight.
High temperatures are forecast to rise into the mid-80s by the end of the week, with mostly sunny skies.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1663 The British crown grants Rhode Island a charter guaranteeing freedom of worship.
- 1755 Britain breaks off diplomatic relations with France as their disputes in the New World intensify.
- 1758 The British attack on Fort Carillon at Ticonderoga, New York, is foiled by the French.
- 1839 Birth of John D. Rockefeller, financier, philanthropist, founder of Standard Oil.
- 1863 Demoralized by the surrender of Vicksburg, Confederates in Port Hudson, Louisiana, surrender to Union forces.
- 1864 Confederate General Joseph E. Johnston retreats into Atlanta to prevent being flanked by Union General William T. Sherman.
- 1865 Four of the conspirators in President Abraham Lincoln’s assassination are hanged in Washington, D.C.
- 1879 The first ship to use electric lights departs from San Francisco, California.
- 1908 Birth of Nelson Rockefeller, U.S. vice president to Gerald Ford.
- 1918 Ernest Hemingway is wounded in Italy while working as an ambulance driver for the American Red Cross.
- 1941 20 B-17s fly in their first mission with the Royal Air Force over Wilhelmshaven, Germany.
- 1943 American B-24 bombers strike Japanese-held Wake Island for the first time.
- 1960 The Soviet Union charges American pilot Francis Gary Powers with espionage.