Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, July 17, 2019:
Cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 80. Light and variable wind becoming south 5 to 10 mph in the morning.
Increasing clouds, with a low around 65. South wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
High temperatures are forecast to remain in the mid-80s before gradually dropping back into the 70s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1763 Birth of John Jacob Astor, American fur trader and entrepreneur.
- 1801 The U.S. fleet arrives in Tripoli.
- 1821 Andrew Jackson becomes the governor of Florida.
- 1864 Confederate President Jefferson Davis replaces General Joseph E. Johnston with General John Bell Hood in hopes of defeating Union General William T. Sherman outside Atlanta.
- 1889 Birth of Erle Stanley Gardner, detective writer, creator of Perry Mason.
- 1898 U.S. troops under General William R. Shafter take Santiago de Cuba during the Spanish-American War.
- 1899 Birth of James Cagney, American actor (Yankee Doodle Dandy, Mister Roberts).
- 1912 Birth of Art Linkletter, radio and television personality.
- 1935 Birth of Peter Schickele, composer, creator of P.D.Q. Bach.
- 1960 American pilot Francis Gary Powers pleads guilty to spying charges in a Moscow court.
- 1987 Lt. Col. Oliver North and Rear Adm. John Poindexter begin testifying to Congress regarding the Iran-Contra scandal.