Weather in northwest Orange County for Sunday, July 28, 2019:
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, sunny, with a high near 84. Light south wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, partly cloudy, with a low around 66. South wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
High temperatures are expected to gradually drop back into the mid to lower 80s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1615 French explorer Samuel de Champlain discovers Lake Huron on his seventh voyage to the New World.
- 1863 Confederate John Mosby begins a series of attacks against General George Meade’s Army of the Potomac.
- 1868 The 14th Amendment to the Constitution, which guarantees citizenship to all those born or naturalized in the United States, is adopted.
- 1898 Spain, through the offices of the French embassy in Washington, D.C., requests peace terms in its war with the United States.
- 1907 Birth of Earl Silas Tupper, founder of Tupperware.
- 1914 Austria-Hungary declares war on Serbia, beginning World War I.
- 1929 Birth of Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis, wife of President John F. Kennedy.
- 1932 The Bonus Army of impoverished World War I veterans is violently pushed out of Washington, D.C.
- 1945 A B-25 bomber crashes into the Empire State Building in New York City, killing 13 people.
- 1965 President Lyndon Johnson sends an additional 50,000 troops to South Vietnam.
- 1990 A fire at an electrical substation causes a blackout in Chicago. Some 40,000 people were without power for up to three days.
- 1996 Discovery of remains of a prehistoric man near Kennewick, Washington, casts doubts on accepted beliefs of when, how and where the Americas were populated.