Weather in northwest Orange County for Monday, July 29, 2019:
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, mostly sunny, with a high near 83. Light south wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, increasing clouds, with a low around 66. South wind around 5 mph.
High temperatures are expected to remain lower 80s for several days before rising back into the upper 80s by the end of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1603 Bartholomew Gilbert is killed in Virginia by Indians, during a search for the missing Roanoke colonists.
- 1805 Birth of Alexis de Tocqueville, French historian (Democracy in America).
- 1858 Japan signs a treaty of commerce and friendship with the United States.
- 1862 Confederates are routed by Union guerrillas at Moore’s Mill, Missouri.
- 1915 U.S. Marines land at Port-au-Prince to protect American interests in Haiti.
- 1945 After delivering parts of the first atomic bomb to the island of Tinian, the U.S.S. Indianapolis is sunk by a Japanese submarine. The survivors are adrift for two days before help arrives.
- 1990 The Boston Red Sox hit 12 doubles in a game, setting a major league record.
- 1996 A US federal court strikes down the child protection portion of the 1996 Communications Decency Act, calling it too broad.
- 2005 Astronomers announce the discovery of dwarf planet Eris, leading the International Astronomic Union to clarify the definition of a planet.