Weather in northwest Orange County for Saturday, August 3, 2019:
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, mostly sunny, with a high near 89. Light south wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, partly cloudy, with a low around 68. South wind 5 to 10 mph.
High temperatures are forecast to peak in the upper 80s over the weekend before gradually dropping back into the low 80s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1807 The trial of Aaron Burr begins. He is accused of plotting the secession of New England.
- 1864 Federal gunboats attack but do not capture Fort Gains, at the mouth of Mobile Bay, Alabama.
- 1882 Congress passes the Immigration Act, banning Chinese immigration for ten years.
- 1900 Birth of Ernie Pyle, World War II correspondent who wrote about the common soldier.
- 1908 Allan Allensworth files the site plan for the first African-American town, Allensworth, California.
- 1945 Chinese troops under American General Joseph Stilwell take the town of Myitkyina from the Japanese.
- 1958 The first nuclear submarine, USS Nautilus, passes under the North Pole.
- 1967 President Lyndon B. Johnson announces plans to send 45,000 more troops to Vietnam.
- 1975 The Louisiana Superdome is dedicated.
- 1977 Radio Shack unveils TRS-80 personal computer, which with Apple and Commodore would form the “1977 Trinity.” Its price and Radio Shack’s established retail outlets made it a bestseller for several years.
- 1990 The US commits naval forces to the Persian Gulf region in the wake of Iraq’s invasion of Kuwait.
- 2004 Statue of Liberty’s pedestal reopens to visitors after being closed following the 9/11 terrorist attacks.