Weather in northwest Orange County for Tuesday, August 6, 2019:
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly sunny, with a high near 83. Light southwest wind increasing to 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 67. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph.
High temperatures are forecast to drop off into the mid-80s, with morning clouds gradually becoming sunny.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1863 The CSS Alabama captures the USS Sea Bride near the Cape of Good Hope.
- 1889 Birth of Major General George Kenney, commander of the U.S. Fifth Air Force in New Guinea and the Solomons during World War II.
- 1911 Birth of Lucille Ball, American actress and comedian.
- 1914 Ellen Louise Wilson, the first wife of the twenty-eighth president, Woodrow Wilson, dies of Bright’s disease.
- 1927 A Massachusetts high court hears the final plea from Sacco and Vanzetti, two Italians convicted of murder.
- 1927 Birth of Andy Warhol, American pop artist.
- 1945 Paul Tibbets, the commander of Enola Gay, drops the first atomic bomb on Hiroshima, Japan. It was the second atomic bomb, dropped on Nagasaki, that induced the Japanese to surrender.
- 1965 President Lyndon B. Johnson signs the Voting Rights Act, outlawing the literacy test for voting eligibility in the South.
- 1972 Atlanta Braves’ right fielder Hank Aaron hits his 660th and 661st home runs, setting the Major League record for most home runs by a player for a single franchise.
- 1973 Singer-songwriter Stevie Wonder is in an automobile accident and goes into a four-day coma.
- 1988 A melee that became known as the Tompkins Square Park Police Riot in New York City leads to NYPD reforms.
- 1991 Tim Berners-Lee publishes the first-ever website, Info.cern.ch.
- 1997 Microsoft announces it will invest $150 million in troubled rival Apple Computer, Inc.