Weather in northwest Orange County for Thursday, August 8, 2019:
Cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 81. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Increasing clouds, with a low around 66. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
High temperatures are forecast to remain in the mid-80s, with morning clouds gradually becoming sunny.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1844 Brigham Young is chosen to head the Mormon Church, succeeding Joseph Smith.
- 1863 Confederate President Jefferson Davis refuses General Robert E. Lee’s resignation.
- 1876 Thomas Edison patents the mimeograph.
- 1899 The first household refrigerating machine is patented.
- 1908 Birth of Arthur J. Goldberg, labor lawyer instrumental in the merger of the American Federation of Labor and Congress of Industrial Organizations.
- 1925 The first national congress of the Ku Klux Klan opens.
- 1942 U.S. Marines capture the Japanese airstrip on Guadalcanal.
- 1944 U.S. forces complete the capture of the Marianas Islands.
- 1950 U.S. troops repel the first North Korean attempt to overrun them at the Battle of Naktong Bulge, which continued for 10 days.
- 1974 President Richard Nixon resigns from the presidency as a result of the Watergate scandal.
- 1978 Pioneer-Venus 2 is launched to probe the atmosphere of Venus.
- 1989 NASA Space Shuttle Columbia begins its eighth flight, NASA’s 30th shuttle mission.
- 2000 The Confederate submarine H.L. Hunley is raised to surface, 136 years after it sank following its successful attack on USS Housatonic in the outer harbor of Charleston, South Carolina.
- 2007 An EF2 tornado hits Brooklyn, New York, the first in that borough since 1889.