Weather in northwest Orange County for Sunday, August 11, 2019:
Mostly cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 81. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, increasing clouds, with a low around 64. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
High temperatures are forecast to remain in the mid-80s, with morning clouds gradually becoming sunny.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1856 A band of rampaging settlers in California kill four Yokut Indians. The settlers had heard unproven rumors of Yokut atrocities.
- 1862 President Abraham Lincoln appoints Union General Henry Halleck to the position of general in chief of the Union Army.
- 1929 Babe Ruth hits his 500th major league home run against the Cleveland Indians.
- 1933 Jerry Falwell, founder of the conservative political lobbying organization, the Moral Majority.
- 1943 Kenny Gamble, songwriter, record producer; a pioneer of the “Philadelphia Sound” (“Ain’t Gonna Love Nobody,” “Me and Mrs. Jones”).
- 1946 Marilyn Vos Savant, author, columnist, playwright; “Highest IQ (Women)” Guinness Book of World Records, 1986-1989 (category retired in 1990).
- 1965 A small clash between the California Highway Patrol and two black youths sets off six days of rioting in the Watts area of Los Angeles.
- 1950 Steve Wozniak, co-founder of Apple Computer.
- 1972 The last U.S. ground forces withdraw from Vietnam.
- 1975 US vetoes admission of North and South Vietnam to UN.
- 1984 Carl Lewis wins four Olympic gold medals, tying the record Jesse Owens set in 1936.
- 1988 Al Qaeda formed at a meeting in Peshawar, Pakistan
- 1989 Voyager 2 discovers two partial rings around Neptune.