Weather in northwest Orange County for Monday, August 12, 2019:
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 82. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, increasing clouds, with a low around 64. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
High temperatures are forecast to remain in the mid-80s, with morning clouds gradually becoming sunny.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1781 Birth of Robert Mills, architect and engineer whose designs include the Washington Monument, the National Portrait Gallery and the U.S. Treasury Building.
- 1859 Birth of Katherine Bates, composer of “America the Beautiful.”
- 1863 Confederate raider William Quantrill leads a massacre of 150 men and boys in Lawrence, Kansas.
- 1864 After a week of heavy raiding, the Confederate cruiser Tallahassee claims six Union ships captured.
- 1881 Birth of Cecil B. DeMille, American film director, producer and screenwriter, famous for epic productions.
- 1896 Gold is discovered near Dawson City, Yukon Territory, Canada. After word reaches the United States in June of
- 1897, thousands of Americans head to the Klondike to seek their fortunes.
- 1898 The Spanish-American War officially ends after three months and 22 days of hostilities.
- 1908 Henry Ford’s first Model T rolls off the assembly line.
- 1922 The home of Frederick Douglass in Washington, D.C. is dedicated as a memorial.
- 1935 President Franklin Roosevelt signs the Social Security Bill.
- 1969 American installations at Quan-Loi, Vietnam, come under Viet Cong attack.
- 1972 As U.S. troops leave Vietnam, B-52’s make their largest strike of the war.
- 1977 Space shuttle Enterprise makes its first free flight and landing.
- 1981 Computer giant IBM introduces its first personal computer.
- 1992 The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) is concluded between the United States, Canada and Mexico, creating the world’s wealthiest trade bloc.