Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, August 14, 2019:
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, sunny, with a high near 91. Light west wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Partly cloudy, with a low around 65. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light and variable in the evening.
High temperatures are forecast to spike into the low 90s around midweek before dropping sharply.
Heat Advisory in effect from August 14, 11:00 AM PDT until August 15, 09:00 PM PDT
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1559 Spanish explorer Tristan de Luna enters Pensacola Bay, Florida.
- 1605 The Popham expedition reaches the Sagadahoc River in present-day Maine and settles there.
- 1942 Dwight D. Eisenhower is named the Anglo-American commander for Operation Torch, the invasion of North Africa.
- 1973 The United States ends the “secret” bombing of Cambodia.
- 1987 Mark McGwire hits his 49th home run of the season, setting the major league home run record for a rookie.
- 1995 Shannon Faulker becomes the first female cadet in the long history of South Carolina’s state military college, The Citadel. Her presence is met with intense resistance, reportedly including death threats, and she will leave the school a week later.