Weather in northwest Orange County for Friday, August 16, 2019:
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, partly sunny, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 82. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, increasing clouds, with a low around 64. South wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
High temperatures are to remain fairly moderate and pleasant through the middle of the new week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1780 American troops are badly defeated by the British at the Battle of Camden, South Carolina.
- 1812 American General William Hull surrenders Detroit without resistance to a smaller British force under General Issac Brock.
- 1858 U.S. President James Buchanan and Britain’s Queen Victoria exchange messages inaugurating the first transatlantic telegraph line.
- 1861 Union and Confederate forces clash near Fredericktown and Kirkville, Missouri.
- 1863 Union General William S. Rosecrans moves his army south from Tullahoma, Tennessee to attack Confederate forces in Chattanooga.
- 1945 Lieutenant General Jonathan Wainwright, who was taken prisoner by the Japanese on Corregidor on May 6, 1942, is released from a POW camp in Manchuria by U.S. troops.
- 1965 The Watts riots end in south-central Los Angeles after six days.
- 1977 Elvis Presley dies of a heart attack in the upstairs bedroom suite area of his Graceland Mansion in Memphis, Tennessee.
- 1984 The safe of the sunken ocean liner Andrea Doria is opened on TV after three decades, revealing cash and certificates but no other valuables.
- 1988 IBM introduces artificial intelligence software.