The Cities of Santa Ana and Garden Grove have begun a comprehensive evaluation of developer proposals to determine a Master Developer for the 100-acre Willowick Golf Course site.
From April 29, 2019 through June 28, 2019, the cities solicited innovative proposals from qualified developers to transform and redevelop the site, located in the City of Santa Ana, and owned by the City of Garden Grove. A total of 12 responses to the RFP (Request For Proposals) were received, including nine development proposals and three non-contingent cash offers. The cities are jointly evaluating the responses for compliance with the RFP requirements.
According to Garden Grove Mayor Steve Jones, “Careful selection of a Master Developer is a critical step forward for this landmark project, to ensure that the unique needs, goals, and visions of both cities and their communities are kept front and center.”
In 2017, the cities held a joint study session to discuss the potential redevelopment of Willowick. In 2018, a visioning plan and economic report were developed, following a series of four workshops aimed at gathering community feedback. In 2019, a joint city council meeting was held in which staff was directed to move forward with an RFP for Willowick.
“This is an opportunity to create a unique development alongside the OC Streetcar route that is fiscally sustainable and will benefit the entire Santa Ana community, as well as our neighboring cities,” says Santa Ana Mayor Miguel Pulido.
Below is a timeline of project milestones:
- December 4, 2017: Joint Study Session to discuss Willowick collaborative opportunities.
- April 3, 2018: Approval of Memorandum of Understanding between both cities to explore the redevelopment of Willowick and conduct a visioning and market analysis.
- August 30, 2018: Community Workshop No. 1 to explore ideas, needs, and goals of the community.
- September 27, 2018 and October 2, 2018: Community Workshops No. 2 and No. 3 to explore economic and market forces, and brainstorm and map ideas for the future of Willowick.
- October 25, 2018: Community Workshop No. 4 to receive feedback on concepts developed based on community input from previous workshops.
- January 29, 2019: Joint Special Study Session to discuss the visioning study, market analysis, and next steps for an RFP.
- April 29, 2019: The RFP to solicit proposals from qualified master developers released to the public.
- June 28, 2019: Responses to the RFP received.
For additional information, please visit: https://ggcity.org/econdev/envision-willowick
This article was released by the City of Garden Grove.