Weather in northwest Orange County for Monday, August 26, 2019:
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, mostly sunny, with a high near 85. Light west wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, partly cloudy, with a low around 67. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light southwest after midnight.
Temperatures are expected to remain elevated in the upper 80s to low 90s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1862 Confederate General Thomas ‘Stonewall’ Jackson seizes Manassas Junction, Virginia, and moves to encircle Union forces under General John Pope.
- 1874 Birth of Lee de Forest, physicist, inventor, considered the father of radio.
- 1906 Birth of Albert Sabin, medical researcher, developed the polio vaccine.
- 1920 The 19th Amendment to the Constitution is officially ratified, giving women the right to vote.
- 1957 Ford Motor Company reveals the Edsel, its latest luxury car.
- 1970 A nationwide Women’s Strike for Equality, led by Betty Friedan on the 50th anniversary of the passage of the 19th Amendment calls attention to unequal pay and other gender inequalities in America.