Weather in northwest Orange County for Tuesday, August 27, 2019:
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, mostly sunny, with a high near 85. Light south wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, increasing clouds, with a low around 67. South wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Temperatures are expected to remain in the mid 80s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1776 The Americans are defeated by the British at the Battle of Long Island, New York.
- 1861 Union troops make an amphibious landing at Cape Hatteras, North Carolina.
- 1862 As the Second Battle of Bull Run rages, Confederate soldiers attack Loudoun County, Virginia.
- 1881 New York state’s Pure Food Law goes into effect to prevent “the adulteration of food or drugs.”
- 1894 The United States congress passes an income tax law as part of a general tariff act, but it is found unconstitutional.
- 1908 Birth of Lyndon B. Johnson, 36th president of the United States (1963-1969).
- 1910 Thomas Edison demonstrates the first “talking” pictures–using a phonograph–in his New Jersey laboratory.
- 1915 Birth of Walter Heller, economist; chairman of the Council of Economic Advisors (1961-64); suggested a “War on Poverty” to Pres. Lyndon B. Johnson and tax cuts to stimulate the economy.
- 1928 Fifteen nations sign the Kellogg-Briand Peace Pact, outlawing war and calling for the settlement of disputes through arbitration. Forty-seven other countries eventually sign the pact.
- 1941 The Prime Minister of Japan, Fumimaro Konoye, issues an invitation for a meeting with President Franklin Roosevelt.
- 1945 B-29 Superfortress bombers begin to drop supplies into Allied prisoner of war camps in China.
- 1984 President Ronald Reagan announces NASA Teacher in Space project, intended to inspire students and honor teachers and spur interest in the fields of science, mathematics and space exploration.
- 1989 Chuck Berry performs his tune Johnny B. Goode for NASA staff in celebration of Voyager II‘s encounter with the planet Neptune.
- 2008 Democrats nominate Barack Obama for president, first African American nominated by a major political party for the office of President of the United States.
- 2012 First interplanetary human voice recording is broadcast from the Mars Rover Curiosity.