Weather in northwest Orange County for Saturday, August 31, 2019:
Partly sunny, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 87. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Increasing clouds, with a low around 66.
Temperatures are expected to remain in the mid 80s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1756 The British at Fort William Henry, New York, surrender to Louis Montcalm of France.
- 1802 Captain Meriwether Lewis leaves Pittsburgh to meet up with Captain William Clark and begin their trek to the Pacific Ocean.
- 1864 At the Democratic convention in Chicago, General George B. McClellan is nominated for president.
- 1919 The Communist Labor Party is founded in Chicago, with the motto, “Workers of the world unite!”
- 1949 Six of the 16 surviving Union veterans of the Civil War attend the last-ever encampment of the Grand Army of the Republic, held in Indianapolis, Indiana.
- 1951 The 1st Marine Division begins its attack on Bloody Ridge in Korea. The four-day battle results in 2,700 Marine casualties.
- 1970 Lonnie McLucas convicted of torturing and murdering fellow Black Panther Party member Alex Rackley in the first of the New Haven Black Panther Trials.
- 1985 Police capture Richard Ramirez, dubbed the “Night Stalker” for a string of gruesome murders that stretched from Mission Viejo to San Francisco, Cal.
- 1990 Ken Griffey and Ken Griffey Jr. become first father and son to play on same team simultaneously in professional baseball (Seattle Mariners).
- 1997 New York Yankees retire Don Mattingly’s #23 (first baseman, coach, manager).