Weather in northwest Orange County for Friday, September 6, 2019:
Sunny, with a high near 92. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, partly cloudy, with a low around 70. South wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light in the evening.
Temperatures are forecast to drop fairly sharply into the low 80s for the new week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1757 Marie Joseph du Motier, Marquis de LaFayette, French soldier and statesman who aided George Washington during the American Revolution.
- 1847 Henry David Thoreau leaves Walden Pond and moves back into town, to Concord, Massachusetts.
- 1860 Birth of Jane Adams, known for her work as a social reformer, pacifist, and founder of Hull House in Chicago in
- 1889, first American woman to receive the Nobel Peace Prize (1931).
- 1861 Union General Ulysses S. Grant’s forces capture Paducah, Kentucky from Confederate forces.
- 1899 Birth of Billy Rose, songwriter famous for “It’s Only a Paper Moon,” and “Me and My Shadow”.
- 1901 President William McKinley is shot while attending a reception at the Pan-American Exposition in Buffalo, New York, by 28-year-old anarchist Leon Czolgosz. McKinley dies eight days later, the third American president assassinated.
- 1907 The luxury liner Lusitania leaves London for New York on her maiden voyage.
- 1943 The United States asks the Chinese Nationals to join with the Communists to present a common front to the Japanese.
- 1953 The last American and Korean prisoners are exchanged in Operation Big Switch, the last official act of the Korean War.
- 1976 Lieutenant Viktor Belenko, a Soviet air force pilot defects, flying a MiG-25 jet fighter to Japan and requesting political asylum in US.
- 1988 Lee Roy Young becomes the first African-American Texas Ranger in the force’s 165-year history.
- 1995 Baltimore Orioles’ Cal Ripken Jr. plays in his 2,131st consecutive game, breaking a 56-year MLB record held by Lou Gehrig; in 2007 fans voted this achievement the most memorable moment in MLB history.