Weather in northwest Orange County for Tuesday, September 10, 2019:
Cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 77. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph becoming southwest in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Patchy drizzle after 11pm. Increasing clouds, with a low around 65. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light and variable after midnight.
Temperatures are forecast to rise, peaking on Friday before gradually dropping.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1623 Lumber and furs are the first cargo to leave New Plymouth in North America for England.
- 1813 The nine-ship American flotilla under Oliver Hazard Perry wrests naval supremacy from the British on Lake Erie by capturing or destroying a force of six English vessels.
- 1846 Elias Howe patents the first practical sewing machine in the United States.
- 1847 Birth of John Roy Lynch, first African American to deliver the keynote address at a Republican National Convention.
- 1861 Confederates at Carnifex Ferry, Virginia, fall back after being attacked by Union troops. The action is instrumental in helping preserve western Virginia for the Union.
- 1885 Birth of Carl Van Doren, historian and critic who won a Pulitzer Prize for his biography on Benjamin Franklin.
- 1963 President John F. Kennedy federalizes Alabama’s National Guard to prevent Governor George C. Wallace from using guardsmen to stop public-school desegregation.