Weather in northwest Orange County for Thursday, September 12, 2019:
Sunny, with a high near 87. Light southwest wind increasing to 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Increasing clouds, with a low around 67. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm after midnight.
Temperatures are forecast to rise, peaking on Friday before gradually dropping.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1609 Henry Hudson sails into what is now New York Harbor aboard his sloop Half Moon.
- 1662 Governor Berkley of Virginia is denied his attempts to repeal the Navigation Acts.
- 1786 Despite his failed efforts to suppress the American Revolution, Lord Cornwallis is appointed governor general of India.
- 1892 Birth of Alfred A. Knopf, American publisher.
- 1913 Birth of Jesse Owens, track and field athlete who won four medals at the Berlin Olympics in 1936.
- 1944 American troops fight their way into Germany.
- 1969 President Richard Nixon orders a resumption in bombing North Vietnam.
- 1990 East and West Germany, along with the UK, US and USSR—the Allied nations that had occupied post-WWII Germany—sign the final settlement for reunification of Germany.
- 1992 Space Shuttle Endeavor takes off on NASA’s 50th shuttle mission; its crew includes the first African-American woman in space, the first married couple, and the first Japanese citizen to fly in a US spacecraft.
- 2011 In New York City, the 9/11 Memorial Museum opens to the public.