Weather in northwest Orange County for Saturday, September 14, 2019:
Sunny, with a high near 91. Light south wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, partly cloudy, with a low around 67. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm after midnight.
High temperatures are forecast to remain warm to hot for several days before dropping back into the low 80s for the work week. Lows are expected to remain in the mid-60s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1814 Francis Scott Key writes the words to the “Star Spangled Banner” as he waits aboard a British launch in the Chesapeake Bay for the outcome of the British assault on Fort McHenry during the War of 1812.
- 1847 U.S. forces under Gen. Winfield Scott capture Mexico City, virtually bringing the two-year Mexican War to a close.
- 1862 At the battles of South Mountain and Crampton’s Gap, Maryland Union troops smash into the Confederates as they close in on what will become the Antietam battleground.
- 1901 Vice President Theodore Roosevelt is sworn in as the 26th President of the United States upon the death of William McKinley, who was shot eight days earlier.
- 1921 Birth of Constance Baker Motley, first African-American woman to be appointed a federal judge.
- 1966 Operation Attleboro, designed as a training exercise for American troops, becomes a month-long struggle against the Viet Cong.
- 1975 Mother Elizabeth Ann Seton becomes the first native-born American saint in the Roman Catholic Church.
- 1984 Joe Kittinger, a former USAF fighter pilot during the Vietnam War, becomes the first person to pilot a gas balloon solo across the Atlantic Ocean.
- 1994 Major League Baseball players strike over a salary cap and other proposed changes, forcing the cancellation of the entire postseason and the World Series.