Weather in northwest Orange County for Monday, September 16, 2019:
A slight chance of thunderstorms. Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, partly sunny, with a high near 83. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph in the afternoon. Little or no precipitation expected.
Increasing clouds, with a low around 65. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
High temperatures are forecast to drop back into the low 80s for the week. Lows are expected to gradually drop from the mid-60s to the lower 60s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1620 The Pilgrims sail from England on the Mayflower.
- 1864 Confederate General Nathan Bedford Forrest leads 4,500 men out of Verona, Miss. to harass Union outposts in northern Alabama and Tennessee.
- 1875 Birth of James Cash Penney, founder and owner of the J.C. Penny Company department stores.
- 1889 Robert Younger, in Minnesota’s Stillwater Penitentiary for life, dies of tuberculosis. Brothers Cole and Bob remain in the prison.
- 1893 Some 50,000 “Sooners” claim land in the Cherokee Strip during the first day of the Oklahoma land rush.
- 1908 General Motors files papers of incorporation.
- 1920 Thirty people are killed in a terrorist bombing in New York’s Wall Street financial district.
- 1940 Congress passes the Selective Service Act, which calls for the first peacetime draft in U.S. history.
- 1942 The Japanese base at Kiska in the Aleutian Islands is raided by American bombers.
- 1950 The U.S. 8th Army breaks out of the Pusan Perimeter in South Korea and begins heading north to meet MacArthur’s troops heading south from Inchon.
- 1974 Limited amnesty is offered to Vietnam-era draft resisters who would now swear allegiance to the United States and perform two years of public service.
- 1975 Administrators for Rhodes Scholarships announce the decision to begin offering fellowships to women.