Weather in northwest Orange County for Friday, September 20, 2019:
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 81. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, increasing clouds, with a low around 64. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
High temperatures are forecast to rise back into the mid-80s for the weekend, peaking on Sunday before gradually dropping over the course of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1565 Pedro Menendez of Spain wipes out the French at Fort Caroline, in Florida.
- 1784 Packet and Daily, the first daily publication in America, appears on the streets.
- 1806 Explorers Meriwether Lewis and William Clark pass the French village of La Charette, the first white settlement they have seen in more than two years.
- 1830 The National Negro Convention convenes in Philadelphia with the purpose of abolishing slavery.
- 1850 The slave trade is abolished in the District of Columbia.
- 1863 Union troops under George Thomas prevent the Union defeat at Chickamauga from becoming a rout, earning him the nickname “the Rock of Chickamauga.”
- 1934 Bruno Hauptmann arrested for the kidnapping and murder of the Lindbergh baby.
- 1952 Scientists confirm that DNA holds hereditary data.
- 1971 Hurricane Irene becomes the first hurricane known to cross from the Atlantic to Pacific, where it is renamed Hurricane Olivia.
- 1973 In a pro tennis bout dubbed “The Battle of the Sexes,” Billie Jean King beats Bobby Riggs at the Houston Astrodome in Texas.
- 1984 Suicide car bomber attacks US embassy in Beirut, Lebanon, killing 22.
- 2001 US Pres. George W. Bush, addressing a joint session of Congress, declares a “war on terror.”.
- 2011 US military ends its “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy and allows gay men and women to serve openly.