Weather in northwest Orange County for Saturday, September 21, 2019:
Sunny, with a high near 89. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly clear, with a low around 65. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm after midnight.
High temperatures are forecast to rise for the weekend, peaking on Sunday before gradually dropping over the course of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1673 James Needham returns to Virginia after exploring the land to the west, which would become Tennessee.
- 1863 Union troops defeated at Chickamauga seek refuge in Chattanooga, Tennessee, which is then besieged by Confederate troops.
- 1904 Exiled Nez Perce leader Chief Joseph dies of a “broken heart”.
- 1937 The women’s airspeed record is set at 292 mph by American pilot Jacqueline Cochran.
- 1944 U.S. troops of the 7th Army, invading Southern France, cross the Meuse River.
- 1989 General Colin Powell is confirmed by the U.S. Senate as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
- 2003 Galileo space mission ends as the probe is sent into Jupiter’s atmosphere where it is crushed.