Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, September 25, 2019:
Mostly sunny, with a high near 82. South wind 5 to 10 mph.
Partly cloudy, with a low around 68. South wind 5 to 10 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.
High temperatures are expected to drop over the course of the week, down into the 70s by the back half of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1775 British troops capture Ethan Allen, the hero of Ticonderoga, when he and a handful of Americans try to invade Canada.
- 1789 Congress proposes 12 new amendments to the Constitution.
- 1804 The 12th Amendment is ratified, changing the procedure of choosing the president and vice-president.
- 1846 American General Zachary Taylor’s forces capture Monterey, Mexico.
- 1847 Birth of Vinnie Ream, who sculpted President Abraham Lincoln from life shortly before he was assassinated.
- 1909 The first National Aeronautic Show opens at Madison Square Garden.
- 1938 President Franklin Roosevelt urges negotiations between Hitler and Czech President Edvard Benes over the Sudetenland.
- 1942 The War Labor Board orders equal pay for women in the United States.
- 1959 President Dwight Eisenhower and Soviet Premier Nikita Khrushchev begin Camp David talks.
- 1974 Scientists warn that continued use of aerosol sprays will cause ozone depletion, which will lead to an increased risk of skin cancer and global weather changes.
- 1981 Sandra Day O’Connor, the first female Supreme Court Justice, is sworn in.
- 1992 NASA launches Mars Observer probe; it fails 11 months later.
- 2009 US President Barack Obama, British Prime Minister Gordon Brown, and French President Nicolas Sarkozy jointly accuse Iran of building a secrecy nuclear enrichment facility.