Weather in northwest Orange County for Monday, September 30, 2019:
Partly sunny, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 74. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Clear, with a low around 56. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming east after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
High temperatures are expected to rise into the 80s around the middle of the next week and remain in the low 80s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1630 John Billington, one of the original pilgrims who sailed to the New World on the Mayflower, becomes the first man executed in the English colonies. He is hanged for having shot another man during a quarrel
- 1846 The first anesthetized tooth extraction is performed by Dr. William Morton in Charleston, Massachusetts.
- 1861 Birth of William Wrigley, Jr., founder of the Wrigley chewing gum empire and owner of the Chicago Cubs baseball team.
- 1864 Confederate troops fail to retake Fort Harrison from the Union forces during the siege of Petersburg.
- 1927 Babe Ruth hits his 60th home run of the season off Tom Zachary in Yankee Stadium, New York City.
- 1935 George Gershwin’s opera Porgy and Bess opens at the Colonial Theatre in Boston.
- 1943 The Women’s Army Auxiliary Corps becomes the Women’s Army Corps, a regular contingent of the U.S. Army with the same status as other army service corps.
- 1949 The Berlin Airlift is officially halted after 277,264 flights.
- 1950 U.N. forces cross the 38th parallel separating North and South Korea as they pursue the retreating North Korean Army.
- 1954 The first atomic-powered submarine, the Nautilus, is commissioned in Groton, Connecticut.
- 1955 Actor and teen idol James Dean is killed in a car crash while driving his Porsche on his way to enter it into a race in Salinas, California.
- 1962 U.S. Marshals escort James H. Meredith into the University of Mississippi; two die in the mob violence that follows.
- 1965 President Lyndon Johnson signs legislation that establishes the National Foundation for the Arts and the Humanities.
- 1972 Pro baseball great Roberto Clemente hits his 3,000th—and final—hit of his career.
- 1975 The AH-64 Apache attack helicopter makes its first flight.