Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, October 2, 2019:
Sunny, with a high near 85. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly clear, with a low around 59. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
High temperatures are expected to rise into the 80s and remain there, with mostly sunny skies.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1862 An Army under Union General Joseph Hooker arrives in Bridgeport, Alabama to support the Union forces at Chattanooga. Chattanooga’s Lookout Mountain provides a dramatic setting for the Civil War’s battle above the clouds.
- 1871 Birth of Cordell Hull, Secretary of State for President Franklin Roosevelt.
- 1871 Morman leader Brigham Young, 70, is arrested for polygamy. He was later convicted, but the U.S. Supreme Court overturned the conviction.
- 1909 Orville Wright sets an altitude record, flying at 1,600 feet. This exceeded Hubert Latham’s previous record of 508 feet.
- 1931 Aerial circus star Clyde Pangborn and playboy Hugh Herndon, Jr. set off to complete the first nonstop flight across the Pacific Ocean from Misawa City, Japan.
- 1950 The comic strip Peanuts, by Charles M. Schultz, makes its first appearance in newspapers.
- 1959 The groundbreaking TV series The Twilight Zone, hosted by Rod Serling, premiers on CBS.
- 1964 Scientists announce findings that smoking can cause cancer.
- 1967 Thurgood Marshall, the first African-American Supreme Court justice, is sworn in. Marshall had previously been the solicitor general, the head of the legal staff of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP), and a leading American civil rights lawyer.
- 1970 A plane carrying the Wichita State University football team, staff, and supporters crashes in Colorado; 31 of the 40 people aboard die.
- 1980 Congressional Representative Mike Myers is expelled from the US House for taking a bribe in the Abscam scandal, the first member to be expelled since 1861.
- 2001 NATO backs US military strikes in the wake of the September 11 terrorist attacks.