Weather in northwest Orange County for Friday, October 4, 2019:
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, sunny, with a high near 79. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly clear, with a low around 57. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm.
High temperatures are expected to rise into the 80s and remain there, with mostly sunny skies.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1777 At Germantown, Pa., British General Sir William Howe repels George Washington’s last attempt to retake Philadelphia, compelling Washington to spend the winter at Valley Forge.
- 1822 Birth of Rutherford B. Hayes, 19th president of the U.S. (1877-1881).
- 1861 The Union ship USS South Carolina captures two Confederate blockade runners outside of New Orleans, La.
- 1874 Kiowa leader Satanta, known as “the Orator of the Plains,” surrenders in Darlington, Texas. He is later sent to the state penitentiary, where he commits suicide October 11, 1878.
- 1895 Birth of Buster (Joseph F.) Keaton, star of silent film comedies including Sherlock, Jr. and The General.
- 1905 Orville Wright pilots the first flight longer than 30 minutes. The flight lasted 33 minutes, 17 seconds and covered 21 miles.
- 1927 Gutzon Borglum begins sculpting the heads of 4 US presidents on Mount Rushmore.
- 1941 Willie Gillis Jr., a fictional everyman created by illustrator Norman Rockwell, makes his first appearance, on the cover of The Saturday Evening Post; a series of illustrations on several magazines’ covers would depict young Gillis throughout World War II.
- 1943 US captures the Solomon Islands in the Pacific.
- 1965 Pope Paul VI arrives in New York, the first Pope ever to visit the US and the Western hemisphere.
- 1972 Judge John Sirca imposes a gag order on the Watergate break-in case.
- 1976 In Gregg v. Georgia, the U.S. Supreme Court lifts the ban on the death sentence in murder cases. This restores the legality of capital punishment, which had not been practiced since 1967. The first execution following this ruling was Gary Gilmore in 1977.
- 1985 Free Software Foundation founded to promote universal freedom to create, distribute and modify computer software.
- 2004 SpaceShipOne, which had achieved the first privately funded human space flight on June 21, wins the Ansari X Prize for the first non-government organization to successfully launch a reusable manned spacecraft into space.